Search This Blog

Followers

Friday 27 January 2023

In Other Words - Songs of Experience


Not a poem but I hope you enjoy this anthology.

Relationships last for days or decades, all remembered , all .dear. Here are a few songs conveying emotion, hope and love, life's soundtrack.

* * *

I took my love, took it down
I climbed a mountain, and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
'Til the landslide brought me down
Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Hmm-hmm, hmm-hmm

* * *

Everyday seems a little longer
Every way, love's a little stronger
Come what may, do you ever long for
True love from me?
Everyday, it's a-gettin' closer
Goin' faster than a roller coaster
Love like yours will surely come my way

* * *

Oh, and there we were all in one place
A generation lost in space
With no time left to start again
I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away.
And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died

* * *

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence.

* * * 

We were talking about the space between us all
And the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
Never glimpse the truth
We were talking about the love we all could share
When we find it, to try our best to hold it there with our love
With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew.

* * *

Always and forever, each moment with you
Is just like a dream to me that somehow came true
And I know tomorrow will still be the same
'Cause we've got a life of love that won't ever change.

* * *

Dance me to the children who are asking to be born
Dance me through the curtains that our kisses have outworn
Raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn
Dance me to the end of love

Hineni, hineni, I'm ready, my Lord
There's a lover in the story, but the story's still the same
There's a lullaby for suffering and a paradox to blame.

There is a crack, a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

* * * 

Can you hear me calling Out your name?
You know that I'm falling And I don't know what to say
I'll speak a little louder I'll even shout
You know that I'm proud And I can't get the words out
Oh, I want to be with you everywhere.

* * *

Why not think about times to come
And not about the things that you've done
If your life was bad to you
Just think what tomorrow will do
Don't stop thinking about tomorrow
Don't stop, it'll soon be here
It'll be better than before
Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone

Acknowledgements:
Stevie Nix, Buddy Holly, Don McLean, Simon & Garfunkel, George Harrison, Rod Temperton/Heatwave, Leonard Cohen, Fleetwood Mac.

Comments.
#1 I met my wife on the Conniston Old Man mountain
#2 My wife's first LP was a Buddy Holly compilation.
#3 American Pie was iconic in the 1960s. I was brought up with church music which died for me after church abuse. 
#4 The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel was also iconic. Silence is political, the decision not to be aware of social justice.
#5 George Harrison's spiritual songs emphasise relationships and ethics, a summary of our lives.
#6 Rod Temperton was a secondary school fellow pupil. I focus this passage on my wife who I am caring for, a life of love.
#7 Leonard Cohen has been the soundtrack of our lives. These extracts emphasise love and service..
#8 The loss of our conversations sums up my reaction to her and possibly her mental struggle to express herself. Meanwhile, reflection on life can be positive.


1 comment:

Tina said...

Deeply resonant collection of lyrics, Stephen. Thank you for sharing!