Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday 3 September 2017

Michel Faber, Whitby

Review in Goodreads
The Hundred and Ninety-Nine StepsThe Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps by Michel Faber
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A short novella of 130+ pages set in Whitby, Yorkshire by a Dutch/Australian author I have not read before. Lots of accurate Whitby observations, a bit of (failed) romance and a dog. I read it with enjoyment in one sitting. The female character, an amputee, has an understated complexity from various personal experiences. The male character is callow and supercilious and not at all in tune with her. I liked the gentle uncovering of this complexity, a petal at a time. The 18th century back story shows empathy with a primitive religious world view. I intend to read some of his other books.


View all my reviews

No comments: