Search This Blog

Followers

Monday 6 February 2023

FRAGMENTS 1. Childhood - Santa

These accounts cover remembered events, many of which have been frequently discussed among family and friends. Though limited in scope, they raise life issues of some importance.

 This first one is about me aged 3-4. The house and context will be explored in the next item. I recounted this with one of the carers who was horrified, until I said, "Well, I was only 3!". I remember it as a discussion with my siblings, especially my older sister. I was saying, somewhat stridently, that there is no Santa Claus. Presents came from Mum and Dad. Sister said she would stay awake and prove me wrong (she didn't manage that). Mince pies were put out, which were eaten (by Dad said I). My mother indicated that I preached this far and wide, and other mothers dropped by to tell her to shut me up (no easy matter). 

How I worked all this out I do not recall but I suspect I was over aware of what was said on the radio and to the conversations around me. The wider issue of lying to children stayed with me. There is of course a magic in fantasy. Through childhood the fantasy world in Rupert Bear Annuals was a constant influence (Christmas presents) but these were obviously (to a young child) just stories. Father Christmas has a big presence in these Annuals.

My skepticism made me ambivalent to the evangelical Christianity I was brought up in. Many of my age mates there stayed with it for life, but my awkward questions were found uncomfortable and I was even by one declared a heretic who ought to be thrown out. 

Respect for children and intellectual honesty is what I have drawn out of this.

No comments: